Having a Bad Day?by Matt & Heidi Keller on 11/21/13
Is this one of those days?
This morning I was walking across the kitchen with my coffee. I had yet to take my first sip so I wasn't quite coherent to the fact that the kids markers were scattered across the floor. I stepped on one and the scene quickly looked like a log rolling competition. Miraculously I took a sip in mid air and was able to take control of the situation without even spilling a drop! It could've ended differently. I could still be on my back with coffee everywhere and marker on my face (don't ask me how it got there). That's a bad day kick-starter right there!
Bad days are relative though aren't they. There are bad days and then there are bad days. Tragic days. Depressing days. When my dad died nine years ago. That was a bad day.
I didn't want to write this today to say your bad day isn't valid. Not at all. But as I read the Scripture this morning, I was reminded that even in bad days we're not alone. I studied Romans 8 this morning and I wanted to share some Truths just from this one chapter that will bring joy and hope even on bad days.
Here are a few simple Truths that are true for all who follow Christ (From Romans 8):
- There is no condemnation for those in Christ.
- Spirit of life has set you free in Christ from sin and death.
- The same Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you!
- That Spirit is LIFE.
- We have received the Spirit of adoption as sons of God!
- We are heirs of God.
- These present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory to come.
- The Spirit helps us in our weakness.
- The Spirit intercedes for us.
- For those who God loves ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD.
- If God is for us, who can be against us.
- Who shall bring any charge against God's children?
- We are more than conquerors through Christ.
- Nothing in all creation can separate us from the love of God. Nothing.
All of that and more in one chapter! Even as I flipped back to the Old Testament and read a little in Nahum I was reminded of another promise that I'd like to close with:
Nahum 1:7, "The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows those who take refuge in Him."
If you're going through a rough stretch...or this morning you weren't able to recover as I did from the markers in the kitchen, know that you are not alone. Know that God is worth trusting and His promises He does not go back on.
May the LORD bless you!
ps...I realize some days are REALLY bad. If this is one of those and you would like prayer, Heidi and I promise to do so for you. Please shoot us an email at email@example.com